a message from Colin, about customizing the look and feel of the website
We understand that the template may not look exactly as you need it.
Many of your are probably building the website for someone else! Your
boss, a client. No matter as you still need that special look and feel
for your website. Compared to having a graphic designer build you a
custom website, a very cost effective solution is to modify a website
template. Saving yourself hundreds or thousands of dollars over the
custom website design.
You may or may not have the skills to do this yourself. Many of our web
developers prefer to modify the graphics themselves by modifying the source
graphic files (which we provide on request). In this case, think of the
template as a head start, we've done most of the work, now you can polish it off
with your own 'flair'.
Many of you will not have the software, time, or skills to modify the source
graphics in the template. So we offer special design services to help you out.
Let's FIRST take a quick look at how we design the graphics for your website,
so we can figure out the best options for modifying the look and feel or your
- Our design team creates an image in a graphic editor. The image is also
referred to as the 'artwork' or 'interface'.
- We use a software program called Macromedia Fireworks 8 to design the
- We also use many different graphic 'filters' to get just the right blend
- We take that image, and turn it into little pieces called slices.
- We then take the slices, and using a combination of CSS (cascading style
sheets) and HTML coding we build a web page using the small sliced up
images, to create one nice 'flexible' web page.
- We design the web page in such a way that the images will stretch
(repeat) so you can add as much information to your web page as you like,
and the graphics on the web page will grow with your content!
- To change the color of the website, we would need to modify the original
art work, or ask our design team to do it for you.
For those of you whose heads are still spinning with all the new
terminology, skip right to OPTION 2 below, and let us do it for
you. We're not expensive, and we do it right the first time. If you're a
designer looking for modify an existing project, OPTION 1 may be
for you ( if you want to save a bunch of time, then let us help, we know
our graphics better that anyone else ).
So this really leaves us with two options available for modifying the look
and feel (colors) of the website.
- (OPTION 1): You can request the original artwork in the form of a
Macromedia Fireworks PNG (pre-sliced, just edit the image, and re-export the
slices) and do it yourself (recommended for Advanced users or Macromedia
- (OPTION 2): Contact our design team with your request. We offer several
levels of service, including the $99 exclusive!
Additional information if you wish to edit the source files yourself:
- You will need Macromedia Fireworks MX2004 or 8
- We DO provide all the source PNG files on request only
- We DO NOT provide the source files in PSD format for Adobe PHOTOSHOP
- You CAN download the 30 day trial of Macromedia Fireworks 8. If you're
familiar with PHOTOSHOP, Fireworks will be quite familiar to you.
- We do provide a 'pre-sliced' PNG file ready for editing and export. We
do not provide support or tutorials on how to edit these files, or how to
use Macromedia Fireworks.
- You may need to install specific 'image' filters such as AlienSkin
EyeCandy 4 in order to render the PNG correctly in Fireworks
Look and Feel FAQs
- Can I change the color
of the website?
- Yes. You would need to edit the source PNG file in Fireworks (MX
2004 or 8) then export the predefined slices
- Can I
change the theme (images) used in the website?
I need special software to change the images in the template?
- NO and YES...
- NO, you do NOT NEED any special software to replace the
images. All you need to do is find suitable replacement images, size
them accordingly, name them accordingly, and place them into the
- YES, you will need some sort of image editor to resize your
replacement images. Replacing the images is the easy part, you
will need to resize your images to fit though!
- WE DO resize your images (up to 4) for no charge. Contact our design
team to learn more.
- Is the website built with CSS?
- Yes! A Cascading Style Sheet is used to determine the layout of the
graphics, the font type, size etc.
- The CSS file will not allow you to change the colors of the template
- Do you
provide the source graphic files (PSD - PNG)?
- Yes! You will need to request these files from our Design team.
- We will upload them to your members page UPON REQUEST
Can you change the look and feel for me? (and how much would it cost?)
- If you require small graphical changes, please contact our design
For a Custom Template:
- We offer an 'exclusive' package. We'll modify the look and feel of
your website (colors and theme) for $99.
- You select the colors. We'll change the template colors to match
your business, organization, or match a logo graphic image
- You select a new set of animated images
- You select a new themed image (themed object if you like)
- You select a new 'background' image for the template header
- You'll receive a brand new website package, with brand new look and
feel exclusive to you. We DO NOT place the modified template into the
catalog for resale, nor do we sell it to any one else as a special
Where can I get new or replacement images for my template?
Are there any licensing restrictions on a modified template?